Cobra finished. Now onto the Alouette

Post you current projects and keep them updated for all to see!

Moderator: Admin

Cobra finished. Now onto the Alouette

Postby antsis » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Guys

Well, after what seemed like an eternity, I finally finished the cobra and it has flown. Unfortunately, it had its first flight in the hands of its new owner. I sold the model a few weeks ago as I just basically lost interest in it. I think a combination of the problems getting the right colour match, the move to Australia and then the hassle of shipping it across from the UK had a big effect on things. I did think long and hard about selling it, but have had the alouette sitting in the box waiting for nearly 2 years, so I made the decision. I hope the new owner gets as much pleasure flying it as I did building it. On the bright side, I acquired a complete trex 600e as part of the deal.

Anyhow, as I said the alouette has been sitting in a box for about 2 years and it was time I got started on it. I have glued the boom to the main body and am about to install the undercarriage. I wanted to ask if anyone has a simple idea on how to fill in the gap between the boom and cabin? I don't want to buy a tin of filler just for a small job.
Ant
Takeoff's optional. Landings mandatory
antsis
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Aus. At least for the next 5 months.
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/fireant896

Re: Cobra finished. Now onto the Alouette

Postby Héli Suisse » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 pm

I wanted to ask if anyone has a simple idea on how to fill in the gap between the boom and cabin? I don't want to buy a tin of filler just for a small job.

Do you have pics of the gap you'd like to fill in? It may help figuring out the amount of filler or substitute you need for that job.
Héli Suisse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby antsis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:27 pm

IMAG0216.jpg

Here's the join. I was thinking of using either thinned down epoxy and talcum powder or fibre glass resin and powder.

Does anyone know if the Trex 600e ESP mechanics are higher than the trex 600e belt mechanics? I have a set of ESP mechanics and found they have to have a bit taken off the top near the elevator servo as it hits the roof of the cabin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ant
antsis
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Postby bell222 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 pm

If you go to local car speed shop you should be able to get some rattle can spray filler primer
just build it up and fine sand in
between,i use this all the time
look for MOTOSPRAY acrylic primer surfacer
you can also use this to create panel lines and even panels
Marvel Craft Worldwide
http://www.justscale.co.nz
bell222
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby Héli Suisse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Here's the join. I was thinking of using either thinned down epoxy and talcum powder or fibre glass resin and powder.

That's exactly what I was thinking of as a practical suggestion. bell222 is another elegant solution. Beside if you're planning building more than one model in the next six months you can still invest in the filler can
Héli Suisse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby antsis » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am

If you go to local car speed shop you should be able to get some rattle can spray filler primer
just build it up and fine sand in
between,i use this all the time
look for MOTOSPRAY acrylic primer surfacer
you can also use this to create panel lines and even panels

Thanks Ron. I'll stop into Supercheap or Autobahn and see if they have this. otherwise, there are plenty of panel shops near us.

I noticed another possible hitch in the build plan. Apart from the height of the mechanics, I noticed the boom is going to be a touch short meaning the tail rotor will not be at the correct location. I remember Denis Stretton commenting on how he had to change the location of the stab because the tail blades were hitting it and I wonder if this is the reason?

Has anyone come across this? I was thinking of getting a set of HK600 mechanics and trying to lengthen the boom, but not sure how to work the tail drive.
Ant
antsis
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Postby heli-pilot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:28 pm

painters caulk or drywall mud works good too, for lil jobs like that which arent structurally functional. brush on a bit of epoxy over it then light sanding b4 primer, itll be seamless.
<span style='color:red'>Greg in AZ</span><br><br><span style='color:blue'>To fly is human, to hover is devine</span>
heli-pilot
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Postby Keyrigger » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Ant:

As best as I can figure out the E and ESP chassis are pretty much the same height. The nitro is higher by about a quarter to three eighths of an inch. At least the elevator servo of the ESP is pretty much flush with the frames so it does not interfere with a doghouse like the 550 did. Hope this helps.

Don

PS: I actually think the EFL Pro will be a really good fit in the Alouette as it is 3/8" shorter than the E/ESP.
Keyrigger
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Postby rotorron76 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi There,
I am building the same model, I used epoxy resin and then Tamiya filler for the whole boom to get rid of the recessed panel lines. I have to options for the mechanics a Trex 550 or 600 EFL pro. I am tending towards the EFL Pro as it doesnt have the anti rotation bracket for scale appearance, and the longer main shaft. Must get my act together and start a build thread on here .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rotorron76

Postby antsis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Finally finished the Alouette. Rhodesian AirForce circa 1970. It's taken so long purely because I have done little bits now and then. There are a few more things I want to do such as the steps. The mechanics have been flown in P&B and I spooled then up in the fus without the head. Now waiting for some decent weather to test the completed model.

I am building the same model, I used epoxy resin and then Tamiya filler for the whole boom to get rid of the recessed panel lines. I have to options for the mechanics a Trex 550 or 600 EFL pro. I am tending towards the EFL Pro as it doesn't have the anti rotation bracket for scale appearance, and the longer main shaft. Must get my act together and start a build thread on here .

I had the EFL mechanics and was not sure they would fit. I ended up with HK 600 mechanics with Align parts and had to take some CF off the frames near the elevator servo as the top of the fus touches them. The 550 frames may be better. I also used the standard mainshaft and it looks about right.

I also had to cut the bottom of the console by about 10mm to get it the cockpit to fit, otherwise I would have had to lower the floor. Currently the AUW with 6S 5000mA lipo is 3.7kg. The model is also tail heavy. I extended the boom by about 1.25" and, as it is shaft drive, the tail gearbox is a big lump. Honestly think it would have still worked out unbalanced if I had stuck with belt drive. There is 130g of nose weight as well as the radio lipo under the cockpit floor. The only way to balance it level would be to add another 6S lipo in the nose thus negating the cockpit. Felt the extra weight was just too much. I flew the mechanics tail heavy without too much trouble, so hope there will be not many dramas when I fly the complete model.
Ant
antsis
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Postby bell222 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm

looking good
well done
Marvel Craft Worldwide
http://www.justscale.co.nz
bell222
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Return to Current Scale Projects