Fuselage Painting

Info and Tips on prepping and painting a scale fuse

Moderator: Admin

Fuselage Painting

Postby Wildbird22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Ok...Years ago I use to do automotive prep and painting. But that's was the 1970's. Today, when I look at fuselages, I don't see anything I like. So I would order an unpainted fuselage, and do my own custom paint job. Now that I'm 5 years from retirement (that will be a total of 37 years) I lost the know-how of masking and painting.

So when I paint strips for example that divide one color from another, the end results are raised lines where the masking tape was. Somebody refresh my old a$$ mind. Do I wet sand the entire helicopter with 2000 grit, then clear coat.....I just don't remember the process anymore.
WildBird22
Wildbird22
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WildBird202#p/a

Re: Fuselage Painting

Postby satsuma » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Best way is to spray a THIN coat of clear over the stripes and surrounding area, rub down and you will be ready for next colour, repeat then when all colours /stripes painted and cleared, flat the WHOLE fuz then re clear, no paint edges, but remember REAL helis DO have slight paint edges and some are quite rough when you get up close, i am building an E cureuil at the moment, so went to a local airfield when i knew one was there, hehehe, looked awesome from a distance and as rough as ar****les close up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hope this helps.
Regards

Sats
satsuma
Scale Master
Scale Master

Re: Fuselage Painting

Postby Wildbird22 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks....I'll give that a try!
WildBird22
Wildbird22
Scale Builder