Newbie with a 5 blade rotor on a trex 450 question..

Scale rotor questions

Moderator: Admin

Newbie with a 5 blade rotor on a trex 450 question..

Postby Incarus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm

5 blade rotor recommendation on trex 450se v2

Was going to my first scale project on my trex450se v2. Dont know anything about scale. Need a recommendation on a 5 blade rotor head. And tail blade . its got a trex md500 fuse. Currently the heli is fly barred.

Are any of the 5 rotor assemblies and tail rotor assemblies from HK a good economical options? Was going to order stuff from them anyway so i thought i could throw them in if it would work.

Saw some stuff on ebay also but did not want to jump in till i got some experienced help.

I also have a 450 pro fbl i could use for the project. Any recommendations and links to specific parts etc woukd be appreciated.
Incarus

Re: Newbie with a 5 blade rotor on a trex 450 question..

Postby martinf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 am

Hi icarus and welcome,

My mate Dan went multi blade on his MD500/450 pro using a CopterX head - I think?? It flew realy well on a 4cell setup.

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/Flybarless- ... index.html

Here's a link to Dan giving a rundown on the phasing - http://forum.heliguy.com/multi-blade-ph ... 59022.html

Cheers, Marty
Vario Benzine E Trainer. X-era 240/14s Tarot 500 ESP, HW Plat 80a AR6200, GA250/DS520, Tgy 930 & HM HB3650
HK450 (the basher) - AR6110e, DS520 Trex 250 : Assan GA 250 + DS420 DX8
The project viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14762
The day job http://www.fraserfurniture.co.uk
martinf
Scale Member
Scale Member

Postby cap231ex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:23 am

I would stay away from the multi blade heads HK stocks as most are seconds of rejected by the original distributor whoever it may be.
There have been many posted threads on other forums where people have ordered and received heads from HK that the head block its self was misdrilled and could not even be used , at this point it is just a paper weight. :blowup:

The CopterX head is of good quality and myself I have 2 of their 4-blade 450 heads and have not had any issues with eather one. However before you install the head on your heli I recommend you disassemble it and reassemble it to insure all bolts have thread locker and that all bearing are free (smooth) and clean.

The SE v2 model is a much better choice for scale if you intend to go with a 5-blade head in a MD 500 because it has a high tail rotor ratio than your Pro model which you will need running the 5-blade head.

HK does carry the Tarot ZYX 3 gyro FBL unit which for the price is a fair unit to use on a 450 project of this type and there are many threads on other forums such as RCGroups.com that has quite a lot of good information on this unit.

Here is another good quaity 5-blade head you might look into more , it is not as cheap as the CopterX head but there again in this hobby you do get what you pay for.
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2077/xmhobbies-trex-450-etc/Detail
cap231ex
Scale Member
Scale Member

Postby Incarus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 am

thanks gents...helpful start...one question but many to follow...

whats the deal with the floating head rotor? the up and down movement?benifits etc?

in addition..i see two option for the 5 rotor head on the link above...the ridged is pricier.....floating way cheapeer

and is a flybarless system the way to go? besides the scale factor...i though i red somewhere that the 5 balse set up does not need the flybar or a 3gx type system??
Incarus

Postby Keyrigger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm

You will get varied responses depending on past experiences with the two heads. My own experience with the rigid head is that with a flybar and issues with tail holding ability, it is not a very good combination. Yet, it did fly very nicely as a pod and boom heli on two different heli's and one even was reversed for a short time. The general thought is that a flapping head does not absolutely require a 3 axis gyro and a rigid head does. Some say none require it and are happy to work hard for their flying time, while a large number of us put a 3 axis gyro in to do the heavy lifting to let us enjoy the flights. Starting off, a good 3 axis (brand name, no knock-offs) is hard to justify but as you progress and your helicopters become more expensive and complex, the cost starts to fade into the background, taking a backstage to proven reliability. There are few of us that can buy at the top end all the time but most would like to get the best bang for the buck. My own experience with the Align system was with the 3G and it is ok but I would never use it in one of my large scale builds. It's fine, in my case, for my 250 to 450 size heli's, but that's as far as I go with that type. Your mileage may vary.

Don
Keyrigger
Scale Builder
Scale Builder

Postby cap231ex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm

The floating or Flapping type head for a R/C heli is designed to eliminate the need for a FBL unit (ie. 3 gyro unit like a V-Bar , Skookum , BeastX , ect.).
Is works best with rigid CF main blades , however the 450 size (and this is only my opinion) is not as effective as the 500 and 600 sizes I beleave because of blade size and shape ( airfoil ).
Most guys go with a rigid head over the floating head of the CopterX , and to the best of my knowledge CopterX is the only one making a 450 size floating head now whether because of manufactoring cost or what I have to wonder why that is.

As for whether to go NOBAR (without any E-stabilization aid) or to go with a FBL unit is clearly your personal choice and only you can make that call.
I can tell you that going NOBAR does require a special type of pilot and a much higher skill set on the sticks over an E-stab unit on a 450 size heli as these smaller helis just aren't as forgiving as a larger 700-800 and larger heli.

The number of blades on a head has nothing to do with whether or not it requires a FBL unit , all heads having 2-6 blades without a flybar will require a FBL unit to fly them enjoyablely.
What I mean by this is , if at the end of the day you intend to fly a smaller heli like a 450 with a scale type head may it have 2-blades to 5-blades and enjoy your flying experience and not be fighting the sticks just to keep the heli in the air then most likely you will want to go with a FBL unit of some kind on this helicopter.

The type of FBL uint you go with is up to you or even if you go this route at all , but there are as I said before some very good quality FBL units that can be bought brand new not used for around $50-$60.00 that will do a great job on a 450 size scale bird.
I know that an Align 3GX used unit can be picked up for around this same price but you have to consider it is a used unit and you are taking a chance on that and will not know whether or not it works properly until you hook it up completely and if it doesn't you're usually just out that money. Besides the 3G and 3GX models both had their faults and were never designed or made to be a scale type FBL unit unlike a V-bar or Skookum type unit.

Hope this answers some of your questions and feel free to ask as many more as you like , there are quite a lot of good and knowledgeable guys on this forum that are more than glad to help.
Good luck with your project and enjoy it.
cap231ex
Scale Member
Scale Member

Postby Incarus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 am

thnks again for the link.....would this be the best option for the trex 450 se v2?:

CopterX Trex 450 CX450BA-20-02 RIGID Five Blades Main Rotor Head

sorry i cant post a link...my mac is screwing up...but its on the ehirobo site a few posts above this one

the description says for EP450? will that work

i will also pick up a 3gx or something as suggested
Incarus

Postby cap231ex » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 am

That would be a fine head for your first scale project.
EP450 just means Electric Power 450.

Good luck with your project and welcome to scale.
cap231ex
Scale Member
Scale Member

Postby Incarus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:05 am

Forgot to ask what type of tail rotor assembly i should use on the trex 450 se v2 md500 project.

2.....3......4....5... Bladed? And who offers such a part...link or part numbert would be appreciated.
Incarus

Postby cap231ex » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Most of the real 1:1 helicopter use a 2-blade tail rotor , but some run the optional cascade type 4-blade tail rotor just like the Apache AH-64 runs.

The cascade tail is a DTY and if you go to RCGroups.com and to their scale heli section under fuel helis do a search for cascade tail rotor a couple of threads will pop up that show how to make your own homemade cascade tail.

As for a store bought 4-blade tail rotor there just isn't any good looking ones because of size issues , but here is a link to one.

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-1795/align-trex-hdx-3dx/Detail
cap231ex
Scale Member
Scale Member

Return to Rotor Questions